Date: 7-9 July 2019
Venue: Wrest Point Conference Centre, Hobart
Address: 410 Sandy Bay Rd, Sandy Bay, Tasmania
2019 Conference Theme: Languages — Breaking through walls
ONLINE REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN! Click here to register
CALL FOR PAPERS NOW OPEN! See details and link below
Conference Dinner & Horwood Address:
Date: Sunday 7 July, 6pm
The Horwood Address will be presented at the conference dinner by Professor Jane Simpson (ANU)
The cost of the conference dinner is included in the 3 day conference registration fee.
Additional guest tickets can be purchased at $95/person.
Date: Monday 8 July, 6-7pm
Venue: Government House
The cost of the conference reception is included in the 3 day conference registration fee.
Additional guest tickets can be purchased at $45/person.
* 3 day conference package rate includes the conference dinner and conference reception
Early bird registrations rates are available until 1 April, 2019:
— Early bird MLTA member $575 (inc GST)
— Early bird non-MLTA member $700 (inc GST)
— Student $475 (inc GST)
Full registration rates applicable after 1 April, 2019:
— MLTA member $675 (inc GST)
— Non-MLTA member $800 (inc GST)
— Student $575 (inc GST)
* Single day registration rates for 8 July and 9 July (Note: This rate does not include the conference dinner or reception)
— MLTA member $330 (inc GST)
— Non-MLTA member $440 (inc GST)
Click here to register
Conference themes & strands:
— Leadership in languages education
— Languages in preschool and the early years of schooling
— Innovation in languages education (including CLIL, Bilingual education)
— The place of indigenous languages in schools
— Intercultural language teaching and learning
— Assessment and reporting of languages learning
— Teacher education for languages
— Responding to diversity in the classroom (e.g. multilevel classes)
— Heritage/ background/community language education
— Programming, planning and assessing using the Australian Curriculum: Languages
— Application of digital / mobile technologies in languages education
Call for Papers:
Teachers, researchers and academics are invited to submit an abstract for a 45 minute presentation (including question time) responding to the conference themes and strands. Proposals for presentations that are related to theory, research and practice in the area of Languages teaching and learning are welcome.
Languages include all languages other than English learned as a second or additional language, or as a heritage language. Submissions related to teaching English as a second or additional language are not sought for this conference.
Please read the guidelines below carefully before submission.
Submissions must be made via our dedicated online submission portal.
The first time you access this site, you will need to create a username and password.
Once you have set up an account you will need to go back to the site to be taken to the author submission portal.
The following information must be included in the submission:
1) Names & affiliations of all authors / presenters
2) Email address for the lead / corresponding author (one MUST be selected)
3) An abstract in English, with brief title. The abstract can be between 75 — 150 words in length. The abstract will be used to determine the relevance and value of your presentation, and will also be made available to participants in the conference proceedings. Please ensure the abstract clearly identifies the nature and significance of your presentation to the AFMLTA membership.
4) Five key words / phrases – including ONE from the list of themes for the conference. Themes will be used to arrange the program. Please choose carefully. List these under the abstract, in the same cell of the table.
NO FILE UPLOAD IS REQUIRED. Please ignore the request to add a submission.
Once you have submitted your proposal, it will be reviewed and you will be contacted by a member of the conference academic panel by 28 February 2019.
Click here to submit proposals by 7 December 2018.
We value and appreciate the support of our conference partners.
Click here for more details about sponsorship opportunities and to book your exhibitor display.
The conference venue will have a number of accommodation options available at a special conference rate.
Details will be available soon.
For inspiration and information about other things to enjoy while in Tasmania, go to